03 March 2015

Ruby Red lips that don't move

All dressed up with somewhere to go.
Last night I went to my first ever Feb Club. It's a Yale tradition centered around Seniors having parties every night in February. It has since expanded to Feb Club Emeritus, where Yalies across the world get together and have parties throughout February. The Boston Feb Club Emeritus this year was on the last night of February at The Vault, a cool bar downtown that's in an old bank building. I had initially wanted to wear a dress, but I decided it was too cold and not worth freezing my butt off. I still wanted to make a statement, though, and a red lip was an easy addition to my work look that would elevate it. I also wanted to make sure my lip color would last the night and that I wouldn't have to worry about it rubbing off while I drank or ate.

My solution was to layer two different lipsticks. I started by applying CoverGirl Outlast Lipstain in Wild Berry Wink 440. I love this lip stain; it's what I wore for my wedding! It is a nice, vibrant red and, once it dries, it does not move until you take it off with a make-up wipe. Why didn't I just put this on and call it a day? Well, I've found that when my lips aren't super healthy (chapped, dry, etc) it can go on a little patchy. But I had a feeling it would make a great base and help whatever I put on top of it go the distance. I put on two coats of this, letting it dry thoroughly after each coat.

Snuggled in a blanket on the couch.
On top of the stain, I layered L'Oreal Colour Riche Lip Liner in Always Red. It is a bit of a deeper and truer red than the lip stain. I've had great luck with this lip pencil's staying power on it's own, which is part of the reason I chose it instead of one of my other lip liners. When I applied the stain, I was very careful to stay within the lines of my lips. With the pencil, I allowed myself to overdraw just the tiniest bit, especially on my top lip (which is quite thin).

The result was a long lasting, vibrant red! Just for fun, I took a picture after coming home and eating a late-night snack. I paid zero attention to not smudging my lipstick, but it hardly moved at all. Clearly the combo of the lip stain and lip liner is a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment