17 January 2015

Hair Dye Adventures: Beyond the Zone Color Jamz

In my continued quest for vibrant color, I tried out a new kind of dye this month. I wound up with this dye because the particular color I got was on clearance for $5. The dye is Beyone the Zone's Color Jamz in the color Candy Apple Red. Sally Beauty Supply doesn't have this color listed on the site any more, so I suspect it was on clearance is because it's a color they're not carrying anymore. According to the Amazon page, it's supposed to come out a fairly bright red on bleached hair. The dye itself is actually more of a deep fushia. You can sort of see it in this photo:

Partially used bottle
One nice thing about this dye was that, like the Manic Panic, I only needed to use about half the dye in the container, meaning I get two dye jobs out of one purchase. Off all the dyes I've tried from Sally's (this, Manic Panic, and Ion Color Brilliance), this may have been one of the messiest. It wasn't too bad as far as the actual dying process and rinsing it out was about on par with the Ion Color Brilliance Brights in Red. However, what it did to my scalp was unprecedented. All of the dyes I've been using lately tell you not to get it on your scalp when you apply it. I have yet to actually find a way to reliably get all my hair dyed and not get dye all over my scalp. I applied this dye with my dye brush in the way I usually do and let it set for the maximum recommended time of 20 minutes. I rinsed it out and applied an after dye conditioner. I was then unpleasantly surprised at how much of it decided to adhere to my scalp. I expect my scalp to be a bit colorful after I first dye my hair, because it pretty much happens with all dyes, but this one took the cake.

Hello pink dye!
I was joking with Mike that my hair looked like an Easter egg. It was such a bright color and it was sort of speckled too, which made me think of eggs. And it was everywhere that I'd let the dye sit, so basically all along my hair line was super bright pink. Unfortunately, the dye didn't show up that well on my hair. It's certainly redder than it was before, but as you can see in the photo, it's actually a pretty natural looking color. Now that my scalp is no longer pink, it pretty much just looks like I have auburn hair. And that's fine, but not quite what I was hoping for.
Terribly back-lit photo.
As you can see in this photo, it does pop a bit more red when the light hits it. I don't know that I'd buy this dye again so long as I continue to dye over my naturally brown hair, but I think it was worth what I spent on it and I'll certainly use the other half of the bottle at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment