07 July 2014

Mud Scrub

A while back I threw a recipe for Mud Scrub into my files to try out later. Now that it's summertime and my legs are out in full view and getting shaved rather frequently, I realized I should be exfoliating them more. I decided to try out this recipe and I am really loving it!

Mud Scrub
1 cup brown sugar
5 Tbsp coffee grounds
~1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1 tsp peppermint extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine the brown sugar and coffee grounds. Slowly mix in the oil. You may not need the full 1/4 cup. I think I only used a couple tablespoons. It also depends on how liquid vs solid you like your scrubs. I made this particular batch fairly solid (if you look at the original blog, she made hers a lot more liquidy). Once the oil-sugar ratio is to your liking, add the peppermint and vanilla. You can of course skip the extracts, but they do add a lovely scent. That is actually one of my favorite things about this scrub- it smells AMAZING!

Part of the reason I decided to make this scrub in particular was because I have some old coffee lying around that I won't ever drink and my brown sugar had turned into rocks, so this was an excellent way to use some of it up. To combat the brown sugar rock problem, I recently got a Brown Sugar Bear and it is the best thing ever! He keeps the sugar nice and soft. You can of course use white sugar rather than brown if you want and the oil can be whatever kind of oil you like to use. I have a big bottle of grapeseed oil that I use in all my DIY beauty products because I like that it doesn't have a strong odor and is relatively inexpensive.

I've been using the mud scrub every couple days for the past few weeks and I'm really loving it. It does a good job exfoliating, smells positively delicious (I swear it helps wake me up because of the coffee smell), and leaves a nice moisturized feeling once I'm out of the shower. It is a bit messy in the shower since the coffee grounds don't dissolve like the sugar does, but it's easy to quickly rinse off the walls before your shower is over. Definitely my favorite DIY scrub to date!

No comments:

Post a Comment