07 July 2014

Rhubarb Cake

Summertime means lots of fun fruits and vegetables, including rhubarb! Growing up, we never had to buy rhubarb, because either we or someone we knew had it growing in the back yard. Well, that is no longer the case for me, but I had a hankering so I went to the grocery store and picked some out. I didn't really feel like making pie, so I decided to make my great-grandma's Rhubarb Cake. Mike wasn't thrilled with it (we suspect he doesn't like rhubarb) but I love it. It's sort of like coffee cake with rhubarb throughout. If you like rhubarb, you'll think it's delicious!

Grandma Settle's Rhubarb Cake
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb

Topping:
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13x9 pan. Combine flour baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

2. Cream the brown sugar and margarine. Add the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla. Stir until well combined. [I went the easy route and did the 1 tablespoon vinegar + enough milk to make a cup instead of buttermilk because I don't keep buttermilk in the house.]

3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Stir in the rhubarb. Spread into pan. Sprinkle the sugar-cinnamon topping over the cake. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

4. Cool and enjoy!

All that's missing is a fork!
I could also see walnuts in this being good. My family is not good on nuts, so they may have been in the recipe to begin with and were cut.

2 comments: