15 September 2014

Treasures from Grandma's House

I don't think I put this on my blog, but my Great Grandma Settle passed away in July, just after a visit the rest of my family had made to Oregon. She was the last one of her generation on that side of the family. Since then, my Aunts and Grandma have been sorting through the contents of her house, deciding what to keep, what to sell, and what to throw away. As a part of all that, I was sent a box of little things. Aunt Abby had let me know she was sending me something and I received the box last Friday right before work. I definitely got all teary eyed going through it. The best part was, there was a letter enclosed explaining what everything was. I decided to take pictures of everything and blog it, to have a record for myself.

Two books- one is to teach your shorthand, the other is about words. 
 The books are both pretty and something I'm excited to read through.

The brush belonged to Grandma Fisher. The coin purse wasn't on the list, but contained something else that was.
These are both really cool. I haven't decided whether or not to use the brush, or keep it in it's mint condition. I probably will end up using the coin purse at some point as it's just so cute.

Military handkerchief belonged to Grandpa Granville (two or three greats), the smaller handkerchief was embroidered by Great-Great-Grandma Fisher for her mother Abigail Granville. The little rectangles that say Yale are cigar or cigarette silks. They used to come in the boxes, and apparently Grandma Fisher collected and played with them.
These items were some of the things that made me tear up the most. It's so nice to just have old things from your family. Once I get my cork boards up, I think I'm going to hang the cigar silks on them.

This fun Americana/Pin-up apron was Grandma Settle's.
One can never have too many aprons. :)

Thank you note that I sent Grandma and Granddad years ago.
 This was the other thing that made me tear up. Aunt Abby said that Grandma saved every thank you and letter from her great-grandkids. She sent me this particular one of mine.

Turtle from Grandma Fisher's collection.
 Grandma Fisher collected all sorts of little animal figurines. I have a couple with my things in Maui. This little guy came in the box though. He's adorable! And I almost missed him too. He was hiding in the packing peanuts. Thank goodness I double checked the contents before throwing out the box!

Grandma Fisher's costume pearls (blush with a gorgeous clasp) and Grandma Settle's bird brooch. 
 I loved both of these so much that I knew I had to wear at least one of them right away. I decided the pearls went best with what I'd picked out, so I wore them to work. I got one compliment in person, and then a TON of likes when I posted this picture on Instagram/Facebook.

I'll admit it, it's heavily filtered. ;)
The last two things in the box I've already gone and re-purposed.

Grandma Settle's crystal vase/cup.
Mal's Mug which belonged to my great-great-grandfather Malcolm J. Fisher.
I realized that both of these would work excellently as beauty storage. I've been needing to add some storage, but was hesitant to use more tin cans. These are much cuter and I wanted to put them somewhere I'd see them a lot.

So. Much. Stuff. But at least it's organized!
Here you can see the mug and vase in their new home. Did I mention that I can't wait to move and have somewhere better to put my make-up than my dresser?

Enclosed in the box was also a slip from the USPS saying that "The enclosed has been damaged in handling in the U.S. Postal Service." Fortunately, nothing in the box was broken. And based on the explanation of contents, the only thing that seems to be missing as one of Grandma Settle's doilies. I'll be checking with Aunt Abby to make sure nothing else fell out. The post office says they'll try and recover anything that's missing if you tell them what it is, but I have a feeling that's an arduous and somewhat fruitless process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment