27 December 2013

Hunger Games: Catching Fire Premiere Make-up Look


I know this is over a month late, but there was too much going on at the time to post it, and I couldn't bear to not post it at all. As you may or may not know, I can be a bit of a fan girl about some things (Harry Potter, Doctor Who, and apparently the Hunger Games). I'm from the days when midnight openings were actually at midnight (not scattered throughout the evening starting as early as 8pm) and when obsessed fans dressed up to go to said midnight openings. I was really excited for Catching Fire and decided to dress up for the occasion. Because it opened on a night when I had work earlier in the day, I ended up getting all made-up in the morning and wearing it all day. It made quite a splash at rehearsal. I didn't want to dress up like Katniss, but rather like someone from the Capitol so I could do over-the-top make-up. I ended up basing my look on this photo of Effie Trinket:


I'm about 90% sure this was a promo look and not actually a look that made it into the first movie, but it was a good one to try and imitate. The main components of the look are the geisha lips in fushia with purple inside, the fushia eyeshadow all the way up to the brow bone and under the eye, lots of bright pink blush on the cheeckbones, very pale face, curly purple hair, and the amazing false lashes. I didn't want to spend too much money on the look, so I mainly used products I already had that would give me the closest match. The two things I did purchase special for this look were crazy false lashes and purple spray for my hair.

The first thing I did was pin curl my hair the night before to give my hair some curl and texture. I had decided that since I have short hair right now, it might be more fun to make my hair look like Effie's rather than doing a wig. It meant that my purple would be much darker, but I was okay with that.


The next morning I did my make-up (and foolishly forgot to take pictures as I did so). After my make-up was done, I took out the pin curls, styled my hair, and then sprayed it purple. Finally, I picked out my most Effie outfit and went to work!

May the odds be ever in your favor!
This is the selfie I took when I got to work. Unfortunately, my camera didn't capture the colors quite as vibrantly as they were in person. Overall, people were most enamored with my feather eye lashes. I saved them afterwards and am just looking for an excuse to bust them out again.

Mike was a good sport and came with me to the movie, despite the fact that he doesn't care much about Hunger Games and his wife was dressed like a crazy person.

Just waiting for the movie to start!
Turned out that I was the only person dressed up for the Hunger Games that I saw all day, but I didn't really care. It was a lot of fun to do something really out of the box and made me want to try some bolder looks more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment