14 January 2013

Nook

I wanted to introduce you to my new best friend: my Nook. For many reasons, I finally decided to cave and buy an e-reader. I did a lot of research and finally settled on Barnes and Noble's Nook, partly because it seemed to be the most library friendly. I also know a few people with the Nook and they all really love it. It is definitely my new favorite thing. The first two days I owned it, I stayed up really late reading an entire book (as in one book each night). I've been able to find lots of free YA fantasy books and, after a little difficulty, I figured out how to get library books onto it.

Case closed with the Nook inside.
When I bought it, I did cave and buy both the extended protection for it (so now I have two years to harm it and it will still be replaced) as well as the screen protector. I just finally put the screen protector on today and it was annoying as ever to get it on right. It's slightly wonky on the top right corner, but I couldn't get it up to fix it, so I'm just gonna live with it. I didn't, however, buy one of the super fancy, rather expensive cases for it. They're cool and all, but I didn't want to spend a ton of money on it right now. So instead, I found a knitting pattern for a sleeve to put it in. It doesn't protect it as much as a hard case would, but it does mean there are two layers of padding between the screen and anything else. I'm planning on keeping it in my purse between two flat objects, so it should be more than sufficient.

The pattern I used was one I found through Ravelry, from someone's blog. I thought about tweaking the pattern a bit, but seeing as it's the first project I've completed in the round, I decided to make life easier and just follow the pattern. The end result is not without mistakes, but it looks good enough to me. At some point, I may make another and make some adjustments based on how this one turned out. The thing that bothers me the most is that the front flap doesn't seem wide enough. This may entirely be because of how I knit, but if I do it again, I'll make it a bit wider to compensate. It looks good when closed though, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Anyways, there it is. My new Nook and it's new cover. Now I have to go and do paperwork as I have rehearsal in a few hours. (I'm apparently ASMing an opera.)

No comments:

Post a Comment