23 March 2013

Chex Mix

Yesterday I made my fourth? fifth? batch of homemade Chex Mix so that Mike and I would have plenty to snack on this coming week. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until I'd already started that we were out of Cheezits (which is one of the things I put in it), so I just did it without them this batch. You can google the official recipe from Chex, but this is the particular way that I make it. I used the traditional recipe as a base, but I like to add the Cheezits for a nice cheddary punch. I also skip the wheat Chex because they were out the first time I got the stuff to make it and I've been too lazy to integrate them in now.

Yesterday's mix, sans Cheezits.
Rachel's Chex Mix

4 cups corn Chex cereal
4 cups rice Chex cereal
2 cups bite sized pretzels
2 cups Cheezits (the original cheddar flavor)
1-2 cups bagel chips (I use half the tiny bag)

Mix all that together in a very large, microwave safe bowl. (Sometimes I actually use two bowls- one microwave safe bowl and a bigger, not microwave safe bowl to mix it in.)

6 Tbsp butter or margarine
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt (you can look up how to make your own seasoned salt if you don't have any in the house)
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder

Melt the butter and mix with the Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Pour over the cereal mix. Stir.

Microwave for 6 minutes, taking it out and stirring it every 2 minutes. When it's done being nuked, spread it out on paper-towel lined cookie sheets to cool. Store in airtight containers.

Important to note that for the mix I buy all knock off brands since you don't notice the difference much when they're covered in buttery, Worcestershire goodness. Also, fair warning that you will not be able to resist eating some every time you walk by it when it is cooling. We've discovered that this is much more economical than buying it in the tiny packages it comes in at the grocery store. And because it's so easy to make, I pretty much always keep the necessary fixings in the house at all times so that it's easy to whip some up anytime I know it'll be nice to have snacks in the house/available to take to work.

On a totally unrelated note, our Amazon order also arrived today which meant that I got my awesome Mighty Bright stand light! The main reason I got it was for La Gazzetta, because I'm going to be carrying my score around backstage and I need to be able to see it at all times (obviously). But the secondary reason I got it is because sometimes you need a book light, and this is like a book light on steroids. Can you tell I'm overly excited about it?

We also got adhesive clown fish (a la adhesive ducks) for the tub so that we don't slip, fall, and dislocate our shoulder like Penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment