The Corned Beef and Cabbage I made yesterday was really delicious and timed out better than in any previous year. Therefore, in addition to re-writing the recipe card for myself, I thought it might be a good idea to document on my blog what I did.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
~4lb corned beef brisket
1 onion peeled and quartered
3 whole cloves garlic
1 Tbsp whole peppercorns
1/4 tsp allspice
4 bay leaves
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
6-8 red potatoes
1/2 to 1 cabbage
(Base how much potatoes and cabbage to use based on how many people are going to eat and how much they like cabbage. Mike's not a fan of cabbage, so I only did a half.)
1) Put corned beef and two cups of hot water in the slow cooker on high for one hour. (If you don't heat up the water individually, it takes a very long time for the poor slow cooker to do it and delays the cook time of the meal.)
2) After one hour, skim off grey foam. Add spices, onion, and garlic. Cook 4-6 hours on high or 10-12 hours on low.
3) Four hours before serving, add the potatoes.
4) Two hours before serving, add the carrots.
5) One hour before serving, add the cabbage.
6) You know it's done when the beef (as well as the carrots, potatoes, and cabbage) is fork tender.
I can't wait to enjoy the left-overs for dinner tonight! We even went and got a second corned beef brisket today because Mike is thinking about making corned beef hash. We'll see how that goes.