14 October 2013

Styling Short Hair: Everyday and a Pinterest Inspired Up-do

Since I cut my hair, I've been having fun experimenting with how to style my new 'do. It is short enough that some of my old standbys- pony tail, half up in a claw, twisted bun- just aren't options. However, I do love that to get my hair out of my face, all it takes is three bobby pins. I have two everyday routines, one for the days I was my hair and one for the days I don't.

When I have freshly washed hair, I massage some 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel into my scalp and roots to keep my scalp moisturized and give my roots a little volume. Then I scrunch more into the ends of my hair to help it hold its bit of natural wave. Some days, I just stop here. Once it dries is somewhat holds its shape but doesn't look like it has anything in it.

If I want my hair to have a bit more of a styled look, I scrunch in one of these two products-
Royal Spa Structure Gel or Tresamme Flawless Curls Mousse. The resulting look is very similar either way, so it kind of just depends on my mood as to which one I use.

On second hair days, I always put a little dry shampoo in my hair at the roots, mainly in the front. If I'm just going to pin it back, I run my fingers through it and call it good. To get a bit more mussed up look and freshen it up, I'll wet my hands and run it through my hair, and then scrunch in some Aloe Vera Gel. To make it a bit more piece-y, sometimes I'll also work a bit of my homemade pomade (equal parts grape seed oil, coconut oil, cocoa butter, and beeswax) into the ends.

Up-do from the front.
Last weekend I got ambitious and decided to try a short hair up-do I saw on Pinterest. The basic principle is that you pin your hair back and into a bit of a bun shape, despite not having enough hair to make a proper bun. I'd link the pin, but it seems to go to the wrong link now. Anyways, here are the photos.

View from the back and above.
First photo is the front view. Everything was just twisted to the back. Second photo is of the back. I had a really hard time getting a good photo of the back, but this one somewhat shows you what it looked like. It was sort of a lot of little twists pinned in a generally circular fashion. It certainly makes it look like you have a lot more hair than you do, which is kind of fun. I don't know that I'd do this a lot, but it is certainly nice to have in the arsenal for a more put-together look.

Tonight, Mike and I are going to the first show/gala for Rancho Mirage at New Rep, which is the show that he just Assistant Sound Designed. Time permitting, I'm going to try and curl my hair a bit and see what that does. Assuming I do it and it works out well, I'll post a picture or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment