30 May 2014

Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

I've been on the hunt for a good breakfast bar for a while now. I like breakfast bars because they are a quick and easy thing to grab for breakfast or mid-morning snack. I made some pumpkin ones in the fall, but in the spring you just don't always feel like a pumpkin bar. Well, I had a banana that was too far gone for smoothies, so I found a recipe online for Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Bars. I altered it a bit so that it wouldn't make quite as huge a batch. I tasted them for the first time today and they were quite delicious! I'm not a huge fan of banana, but I really liked these.

Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp veg oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup banana
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x9 pan. [If you like, you can double the recipe and use a 10x15- that was the original recipe.]

2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, combine oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and banana. [My one sad banana wasn't quite half a cup, so I supplemented with some applesauce.] Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Stir in the oats, nuts, and chocolate chips. [I was generous with the oats.]

3. Spread into the greased pan and smooth out flat. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

4. Leave in pan until it is cool enough to handle. Then remove it from the pan and cool on the rack completely. Cut into bars the size of your choosing.

I froze half of the bars, because I probably won't go through them super fast and I didn't want them to go bad before I finished them. And like I said, they're really tasty! Not too banana-y, but definitely super moist and delicious. I definitely recommend them!

No comments:

Post a Comment