29 April 2013

Cranberry Orange Bread

This is one of my favorite sweet breads to make. It's right up there withe the Pumpkin Bread I make. I still had some cranberries in the freezer from Thanksgiving, so I decided to whip up a loaf. This is a recipe I modified from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. It's also one of the recipes I've included in wedding gifts.

Cranberry Orange Bread
3/4 cup orange juice
1 beaten egg
2 Tbsp cooking oil
2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1) Combine orange juice, egg, and cooking oil. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add orange juice mix to dry ingredients; stir just til moistened. Fold in chopped cranberries and walnuts. (Cranberries can be fresh or frozen.)

2) Turn batter into lightly greased 8x4x2 loaf pan or three 6x3x2 loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes (30-40 for smaller pans) or til a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. (I usually have to bake it about 10 minutes extra.)

3) Cool bread 10 minutes in pan. Remove from pan and cool thoroughly on a wire rack.

I like to eat it warm out of the oven with butter, but it is delightful anytime. I love it for breakfast and for snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment