17 March 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I must admit, any holiday that features food moves it near the top of my favorites list. The only thing better is when it's food AND make-up (ie Halloween). All that to say, I really love St. Patrick's Day. It is all about food and drinks (well, I mean, not really, but for someone like me, that's basically what it comes down to).

All that St. Patrick's-y goodness ready to pop out.
I got up early this morning to start the corned beef and make Irish Soda Bread for breakfast. I'd already spent a good chunk of time last night prepping all the vegetables for dinner so that Mike would be able to throw them easily when it came time for them to go in. [You can find my recipe for Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage here.] We had such a huge brisket (almost 6 lbs) that everything just barely fit into the crock pot.

The reason why I had to have Mike put all the vegetables in was because I was off helping Lauria dye the next quarter's Year At the Farm Sock Club Yarn. I can't tell you about the colorways we've been working on, but I am loving them all so far. Lauria had me help with the actual process of dying yarn this time which was really fun. It's surprisingly similar to dying eggs. Just, more yarn-y. ;) Depending on how tomorrow goes, I may talk more about the whole dye process, without any spoilers about what colorways we're doing for April, May, and June.

I showed my St. Patrick's Day pride today by wearing my shamrock socks, a green shirt, my shamrock necklace, my green St. Christopher medallion, and green mascara.

Sock! (I forgot to take a picture until they were off and dirty.)
Unfortunately, the green mascara would not show up well in photos. To tell the truth, it doesn't show up a ton in person either, but it's still fun.
More green swag
I had a nice stout with my dinner of corned beef, but I decided to make a special green cocktail for St. Patrick's Day. I saw the recipe online a few days ago and, because I had everything on hand, I figured it was worth a try. The Nest calls it a Captain Nemo; I modified it ever so slightly to make my life easier, but the contents (and result) is the same.

Delicious green cocktail
Captain Nemo
3 parts Triple Sec
1 part Blue Curaco
4 parts Sweet and Sour Mix
1 part Orange Juice

Shake with ice and strain into a glass. I don't have any fancy stemware, so I just poured it into a rocks glass but you could drink it out of whatever you like!

I'll probably drink something with Bailey's in it too before the night is over, because I can't let St. Patrick's Day pass by without drinking some of the Irish cream I have in the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment